Thursday, January 2, 2014

Resolutions

Hey all! It's Amy again.

I'm sitting here on this bitter cold Michigan morning (10 degrees and feels like -9 according to weather.com) drinking a hot herbal infusion from www.mountainroseherbs.com called Easy Day Tea. It's drafty in our little abode and so my cup of tea is exceptionally delightful today; it's pure berry mint warmth. The thermostat in here reads at 65 degrees, but it certainly feels colder.

I've been thinking about resolutions this morning. My inbox has been flooded with emails suggesting, "a new year, a new you!" and of course they mean that because it's a new year, I should buy myself new clothes and cosmetics or lose weight to become an upgraded version of myself. While getting in shape can be a challenging resolution, sometimes I wonder if it's those less apparent resolutions that offer more of a challenge.

For instance, this year I want to be more selfless. It's a resolution that I'll be able to see progress, yet others will not be able to gauge it as easily. If my goal were to lose weight, the people around me might take notice and offer support and encouragement. When the resolve is more of an internal nature, it rests on my shoulders to inspire myself and to encourage myself to keep momentum to make a transformation that only I might know.

I think it makes the discipline more of a challenge, one that is very rewarding.

There are a lot of focuses that are more internal that could be rewarding, especially paired with a focus of getting in shape or doing yoga regularly.

For some internal evolution ideas: intentional kindness, being more self-confident, being less judgmental, having an open mind, exploring boundaries of comfort and then stepping outside the comfort zone, or having more empathy for others.

Here are a few more ideas outside of that:
Yoga, learning meditation, learning an instrument, picking up a new hobby (studying herbalism, drinking tea, and gardening are all great ways to spend time!), going vegan or vegetarian for a month, or learning how to eat healthier.

I know a lot of people think resolutions are silly, but I think it's refreshing to be reminded that I'm not the best possible version of myself and that I should focus on bettering myself and enriching my life.

What are your resolutions this year? What would you like to change in your life or accomplish this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment